Sunday, October 05, 2008

Cabin Fever: Tradedio

While I was thinking of things that I could blog about my grandparents cabin on Panguitch Lake Utah came to mind. It was built by my Grandpa Kieffer and his sons out of mostly 2X4's that they got at a local sawmill. I will probably publish a history later but today I wanted to talk about Tradedio. Its pronounced like Radio with Trade in front of it.

Before the days of the Internet and Craig's List there was Tradedio. Every morning at the cabin, while she cooked breakfast and while we sat around in our PJ's this is what we listened to. Back then, there was no TV at the cabin, just the Radio. People would call in to offer services, find lost pets, or sell something. Then they would give their phone number and other people could contact them.

I am not sure what made me think of this particular memory associated with the cabin. Perhaps its because the weather has turned cooler and made me more nostalgic. Or maybe because Grandma isn't doing so well and it is my attempt to remember the good times I've had with her. The cabin was always a special place to be and will always hold a tender place in my heart. We didn't get to go as often as our other cousins because we didn't live in Utah for many years but the times we did get to go are etched in my memory. So I will share some of those memories with my loyal readers here.

No comments: