Thursday, February 12, 2009

Spitting a Stitch

When I had my gallbladder removed over 2 years ago I always had this little bump near one of the incision sites. I never really thought much of it until a couple of days ago when it started to swell, turn red and hurt. Really hurt.

It was so weird and I thought I was completely crazy because I thought it was related to my previous gallbladder surgery but how could that be when it had been 2 years since I had the surgery?

I found out today. I finally went to the doctor and if you know me at all you know I would rather do many, many, many things than go to the doctor. I had also been suffering from sinus symptoms for about 3 weeks so it was a good opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Mom decides to go to the doctor with me and we find out I am "spitting a stitch". Yes, it seems there is a very deep stitch that wasn't one that dissolved so now has decided to work its way out through my skin. How fun for me.

I also have sinus infection. I decided to stay home today and tomorrow which I think will help me to feel better.

With antibiotic in hand we left the doctors office with instructions to put a warm compress on my spitting stitch.

Whoever heard of such a thing? I swear it could only happen to me.

Weird.

8 comments:

Eliza said...

I saw that as your facebook status and I wondered what that was all about... yikes! That doesn't sound fun at all :-S

~B. said...

Crazy!! I still think it sounds very tricky to spit a stitch though! ;)

Beckle the Freckle said...

UGH! I'm sorry small friend. That sound horribly painful. :( Get better soon!

RCH said...

Eeew! Eeew! Eeew! :-P

Feel better, though! I love you!

Elder Nate Mountain said...

Ouch!! Sounds painful! Hope you feel better soon!

GB, RN said...

My knee did that. It was the weirdest thing. It was a few months after my big knee surgery, and this one part of the incision wouldn't heal. I was at the cabin and had an epiphany. I grabbed the tweezers and pulled out a 1 inch piece of suture. Mom gagged. Shocking, the incision completely healed shortly after.

Just thought I'd share.

Matthew Ware said...

Ewww!

I had a district leader on the mission who had been cut with a knife on the neck years before serving. He had had stitches and had them removed. Then one day after he shaved he noticed a bit of stubble. He started picking at it and ended up pulling out a couple inches worth of suture. He said it kind of freaked him out.

lexieandazzy said...

I totally understand! I had my gallbladder removed January 16th this year. It was a laperoscopy, but they did five incisions. The large incision just above my naval, has been nothing but problems. I have spit two stitches out of it so far, and two more have peaked out and gone back in. I joined just to say I am with ya! My surgeon said only 2% of the people will spit a stitch. Just a bit of triva for ya!