Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Frustrated

If I didn't have to go to another doctor I wouldn't. Seriously. Its been that kind of week already and its only Tuesday!

I had to have a mammogram as part of the listing process for the transplant. That's fine. I know I am 35 and that sort of stuff needs to start happening. Going in I knew that I had a lump on the right side that had already been biopsied seven years ago. I didn't expect to also have something on the left side. As I expected, because I am me, I had to have further testing on said lumps. After the ultrasounds it was determined that I should see a surgeon for a consultation to have a biopsy of the lumps. Fine. The women's center where I had the mammogram and ultrasound said they would request the records from my previous biopsy for this appointment.

Yesterday I go to the appointment expecting to hear that I need a biopsy. Obviously because I am me and things can't just go easily. Anyway, at the doctor's office the doctor is puzzled because he doesn't have these records. His nurse doesn't really care that I am upset by this and instead gives me a lecture about self exams. I know this. I am not five years old nor am I lacking intelligence. I explain to her that I have had other things on my mind. In an extremely condescending voice she explains that I should do them so if there is a problem I can alert someone. Thanks Sherlock I had no idea that is why we do monthly self breast exams.

For the record, I know that I should do them. Just so you know.

I leave the doctor's office $25 poorer (which I can't afford) and have no answers. Thankfully, his nurse called me today to set up the biopsy for next Tuesday. Yes, I get to have the right one done too. Lucky me.

I am not the type of person who complains a lot to other people. Sure, I come home and tell mom and dad about it with all sorts of passion. But I don't really ever take the next step like writing a letter.

Today I did.

I am glad I did it. I think there is no excuse for the women's center not doing their job and for the doctor's nurse to be so blase about the whole situation. So I wrote a letter to both places expressing my displeasure with my most recent interactions with their offices.

I am not too worried about the biopsies but I wish that something in my life would go easily. Hopefully this will turn out to be nothing.


2 comments:

Harwood said...

Boo! (at the meanie nurse who was totally unempathetic, just pathetic)
I hope things start getting better soon! If you end up in Omaha at the transplant center here I will bring you some chocolate chip cookies!

RCH said...

Holy crap, I would be irritated. I'm glad you wrote a letter! {{{BIG FAT HUGS}}}


Verification word: eprefe. As in someone with a vaguely non-distinct European accent saying, "e prefe not to zee zo many doctors!"