Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sick and Tired of Kaiser Permanente!

The reason I haven't been blogging (GRRR I keep wanting to write bloggering) is because I haven't been feeling so well.

It all started two weeks ago when Dad started feeling crummy. Eventually he went to the dr who diagnosed him with Bronchitis--an inflammation of the lungs---gave him antibiotics and sent him on his way. Meanwhile, who starts hacking up a lung? ME. Of course because my immune system doesn't play well with others I almost always catch whatever is going around. On Thursday last week I start coughing and doing what dad had been doing a few days prior. I HATE going to my primary care doctor for anything because I just hate Kaiser which is an HMO that I have my insurance through. I decided I was just going to let it run its course, which never works, and tough it out. Monday morning I wake up with yellow junk oozing out of my eye and since the very same thing happened to Dad I decided that I should go to the doctor. This was a mistake.

I called and got an appointment, not with my regular dr but with some other chick. Needless to say I left that appointment VERY angry. The dr told me I have allergies. I KNOW I don't have allergies. I have siblings who have awful allergies and THIS. ISN'T. THAT. But would she listen to me? NO! So I left with prescriptions for nasal sprays. I was thinking to myself, I'll be back next week! But I think I'll just die instead of going back there. Not really but I was very frustrated by her attitude and the fact that she didn't even listen to my very valid concerns. Do I look stupid? Do I look uninformed? GRRR. So now I feel worse, my cough is worse and ITS. NOT. ALLERGIES. DOUBLE GRR.

THEN, I have been trying to get my procrit injection from them for a few weeks but keep running into road blocks. I wrote about it here. Finally, I had the lab work done and I had contacted my dr about coming into the office for the injection. I received a call back from the nurse who told me that I needed to have blood work drawn again because I hadn't had it done since the 14th of March. I told her there really wasn't any point since I hadn't had the shot. Is it going to go up? NOPE! So she agreed and she hung up only to call back later and tell me that I had to get the labs because it could change in 10 days. I am seriously pissed at this point. I am so mad at Kaiser and all their rules and their uncaring attitude.

7 comments:

Heather said...

KP sucks big crusty donkey butts!!

Hope you get to feeling better, friend.

RCH said...

It does. And bloggering sounds like a British swear word. :-D

R Matthew Ware said...

Use bloggering. It's good. It'll make you quirky :)

You should have told that doctor that you've probably been in doctor's offices more often that she has. And I know you don't like to make a stink, but you do have the right to ask for a second opinion while you're there. You just say that you are concerned because you have a lot of serious health concerns and you would like one of the other doctors to take a look at you. You have a right to that.

And I've heard nothing good about Kaiser Permanente. United Health Care is getting bad too. They've decided that they get the say on what care a patient gets, not the doctor. So, some loser in some building in a city you don't live in determines the care you get, not your doctor who might actually know a thing about your history. We need major insurance reform in this country. (And universal healthcare ain't the answer).

Heather said...

Someone left a comment that said I give good blog.

I'm not sure how to respond to that...

monavladko said...

Until I read that you live on the other side of the country from me, I was sure that I saw this doctor at Kaiser Permanente! I went there with a horrible migraine and asked for a neurology referral and she tried to give me a psychology referral. Plus, when you tell KP that you are allergic to certain medications (like NSAIDs), they act like you are lying and trying to do something shady. I REALLY HATE this insurance!!!

K2 said...

Monavladko,
Totally, I am not technically allergic to a lot of things but I say I am allergic because if I take them it will hurt my transplanted kidney. When I first got Kaiser and I told them that I was "allergic" they acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. I really dislike their philosophies. Hate it.

Roweena said...

I just returned from my Kaiser appointment today, and googled: "HATE KAISER". I'm so glad I found your post! My primary care physician actually called my home this morning to ask if I really needed to come in since I just had an OB.GYN appointment a week ago. One appt had nothing to do with the other. During the appt, I felt as though I was the doctor, asking for bloodwork and making [rescription suggestions. She was clueless. at the Pharmacy, I found out that the prescription medication I was on before I had to move to Kaiser, was only available to Medicare patients... not the 31 year old patient standing before them! If I wanted to get the meds, I would have to pay about $150/month out of pocket! Healthcare in America... aren't we all so lucky!